Higher education and university for older people | 붯

Skip to content
Please donate

Higher education and university

Most universities and colleges welcome mature students for their commitment, experience and skills.

What qualifications do I need to become a mature student?

When it comes to entry requirements, many universities and colleges have a flexible admissions policy that takes into account work and life experience.

As entry requirements vary so much, it's a good idea to get in touch with the admissions tutors for the courses in which you are interested. It could be worth meeting them to discuss your situation and your options before making an application. You may need to take an access course first.

To ease the transition back into education and help you settle in, universities and colleges often have orientation programmes tailored for mature students.

is a thorough guide for those considering higher education

What is an access course?

Access to higher education courses teach the knowledge and skills that you will need to begin a degree or diploma course. They are run by local colleges, usually as evening classes.

There are over 1,500 access courses listed on the .

How do I find a college or university course?

provides a wealth of information on universities and courses.

UCAS process all UK university undergraduate applications. Visit their website to use the .

have been proudly proclaiming their lack of an upper age limit and lack of formal entry requirements for longer than anyone else. They offer a range of distance learning courses.

Can I get funding for higher education?

Studying can sometimes be expensive, but there may be concessions for older people - so make sure you ask. Many institutions also allow distance learning so you can study from home and save costs.

GOV.UK's provides information on the financial help available to students in higher education in England.

You can apply for an to help fund a course at a college or training provider in England. There are similar loan schemes available for those living in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. You start to pay this loan back when you finish your course and you’re earning over £21,000.

What should I do next?

Alternatively, you could get in touch with the admissions tutors for the courses in which you are interested.

For more information call the 붯 Advice Line on 0800 678 1602.
We’re open 8am to 7pm, every day of the year.

Share this page

Last updated: Jun 21 2024

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top