Where can I get free legal advice? | 붯

Skip to content
Please donate

Finding legal advice

Depending on your situation, you might be able to get free legal advice, or help to cover some of your legal costs.

Where can I get free legal advice?

Depending on the advice you need, you might be able to access it for free.

Some of the organisations listed below can give you free initial legal advice, before helping you decide what to do next. Others may be able to help with more complex cases – and even represent you at a tribunal.

  1. Citizens Advice offers free advice on a wide range of issues, including benefits, housing and employment. They can help over the phone or in person at one of their centres. You can .
  2. Law centres offer free legal advice in centres across the country. They help with a range of issues – from benefits and employment to housing to immigration and seeking asylum. You can .
  3. Trade unions can offer free legal advice – and not just about employment issues. To find out more, get in touch with your union representative.

Can 붯 help?

붯 doesn't offer legal advice – but, through our Advice Line or through your local 붯, we can point you to trusted sources of specialist information and advice to help you with your situation.

Our free national Advice Line is open from 8am to 7pm, 365 days a year. To speak to someone, just call 0800 678 1602.

Or, if you'd prefer to talk to someone in person, your local 붯 can help. They'll also have their own information and advice service, which can help you with things like benefits, debt, housing and health.

Find your local 붯


  • Please select a search type
  • Please enter a valid postcode

Can I get help with legal costs?

Legal aid can sometimes help with the cost of legal advice or bringing a case to a tribunal. It’s not available to everyone – it’s only for eligible cases, and only if you have a low income. Eligible cases might include:

  • someone at risk of losing their home
  • someone experiencing discrimination.

How do I find a solicitor?

If an advice agency or free service can’t help, you might need to pay to get advice from a private solicitor. This could be for making a will or setting up a power of attorney, for instance, or buying or selling a house.

Different solicitors specialise in different areas of law. To get started:

1. Search for solicitors .

2. Call a few to compare the services they offer – and don’t forget to ask them about their fees so you can compare these too.

3. Before you hire them, check a solicitor’s record .

If you aren’t happy with the service you get from a solicitor, you can make a complaint. You should complain to the solicitor’s firm directly first. However, if you feel that your complaint isn’t resolved, get in touch with the Legal Ombudsman, who can investigate complaints about solicitors. Their service is free and independent.

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local 붯s.

Share this page

Last updated: Apr 09 2024

You might also be interested in...

Making a will

Making a will is the only way to make sure your money, property, possessions and investments (known as your estate)...

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top